There are A TON of succulent varieties. However, they generally have similar care instructions and are great for plant enthusiasts that lack a "green thumb". Care for succulents can be easily summed up in 7 simple tips.
- They like light. The sun is their friend. Let them sun bathe for about 6 hours a day but make sure you rotate them. If you don't, the little sun worshipers will lean towards the direct light. Before you know it, they appear crooked.
- Use a planter with great drainage. Water directly into the soil until it drains from the bottom. Be mindful of the season as you water, they tend to drink more in the summer.
- Only water when the top inch of soil is dry and not a moment before then. No one likes a soggy succulent.
- Practice good housekeeping. Keep them clear of dust and critters. Critters are attracted to soggy soil. (See tip 3)
- If you attract bugs, the soil won't mind a few sprays of isopropyl alcohol as a repellent.
- Choose the correct potting medium. They require drainage beyond the capabilities of ordinary "dirt". Find a potting mix that includes sand or perlite.
- Only fertilize during warm weather months.
You got this, we believe in you. Now go make your living room look amazing with some succulents.